Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Take time

This year I am trying to be more conscious to "take time" to do things I really love, things that are good for my soul, things that bring me joy.....just for me (selfish mole huh lol!!!).  One of those things is cooking/baking.  I love love love cooking, always have since as far back as I can remember thanks to a Mum that is a whizz in the kitchen and has a recipe arsenal that could kick Martha Stewart's caboose! These days when I cook I am limited by the necessity of it, the family likes/dislikes and of course the weekly food budget!  It is more of a chore now I guess, even though I do still enjoy it, it just doesn't float my boat like it used to.  SO once a month-ish I am going to follow a beautiful recipe that makes me WANT to cook, just for the fun of the process, just because I have never tried it before, just to see if I can pull it off. And I am excited about the thought of it!!!  Today I kicked it off with a blueberry and orange teacake recipe that I found at Woolworths.  The original recipe had almond meal (which would trigger me a  migraine in a heartbeat) so I tweaked some of the other ingredients and added a touch more orange flavour to come up with this recipe.  I have never made a teacake before and am really happy with how this one turned out and was surprised at how easy and quick it was. The cake is lovely and light and the orange sugar sprinkle on top makes it!!!

Blueberry and Orange Tea Cake


2 cups self raising flour
3/4 cup caster sugar
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
75g butter, melted
2 oranges
1 punnet blueberries
3 tbs caster sugar, topping

Preheat over to 180oC.  Grease a 22cm cake tin and line the base with baking paper.
Combine the flour and sugar in a large bowl.
Finely grate find from both oranges and set aside. 
Juice both oranges and whisk with the egg, milk and melted butter until combined.
Pour liquid into the flour mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until well combined. 
Pour into cake time and scatter with blueberries.
Combine the rind and extra sugar, rubbing with your fingers tips and sprinkle over the top of the cake.
Bake for approx 45mins or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
Leave in tine for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Enjoy!
xoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment